Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What happens in Vegas...

I had high hopes for Rainbow Six: Vegas. I like the Splinter Cell series, and I thought a tactical shooter would make for interesting gameplay. When the multiplayer demo was released, I had a great time with it, in fact. It was interesting, heavily promoted team play. And the single player features were promising, not the least of which being the ability to use the Vision camera to put your face in the game. (Yes, I know it's a gimmick, but as the owner of one of these gimmicks, I'd like to get more use out of it.)

So the single player demo was released, and I got a chance to play it. Remember what I said about Gears of War and excessive swearing? This was pretty bad, too. I had the same feeling then. This was not a game I wanted to expose myself to, let alone bring into my home.

So along came Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 (bottom of the eighth, Vegas is up, bases loaded, two outs...). I hoped that maybe this could be my entry into Vegas. If they cleaned up the language at least, then even if they released the same game, I could get some enjoyment playing one version of the game.

Fortunately, my participation in the Geezer Gamer community paid off once again. I can usually count on somebody getting a copy of just about any game on release day, especially one anticipated such as this, and posting their impressions. One such Geezer had this to say:

Sounds is as always amazing, with this game having the most foul-mouthed terrorists I've ever heard in my life. Apparently in Terrorist Training Camp™ they teach how to swear using the "Fock" word until they get it right such as: "Dude, they just focking killed him!!"

The reviews had been a little lackluster so far. It seems to be a good game, but not much of an improvement over the original. With a lack of community excitement, I was on the fence about this one, but that comment clinched the deal. No sale.

No comments: