Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I sing whenever I sing whenever I sing...

In my ongoing quest to become a rock star (ok, to earn as many achievements as I can realistically milk out of the game), I started a singing career in Rock Band. Singing, I figured, should be the easiest of the four "instruments". I'm not limited by my own lack of coordination, or by any interface issues or what-not. All I need to do is sing the notes. And since I sing in the church choir, I should be capable of doing this.

Now, I'm willing to concede that there is a big difference between singing church hymns and singing lead vocals in rock songs. Not the least of my problems, I sing bass, and most songs are sung in a tenor or soprano range; so I have to spend a lot of time trying to transpose notes into an octave I can actually reach. But, I do have certain basic concepts down, not the least of which being I actually understand the concept of transposing notes into an octave I can reach, carrying a tune, matching pitch, and other fairly generic fundamentals that should at least give me a leg up on the singing career.

So why am I failing out of the warm-up songs?

I can't figure this thing out. The little on-screen arrow tells me I'm singing too low, so I modulate up a half step, and now I'm too high? And for some reason, phrases where I seem to spend more time in the green than others, it'll actually score me worse than other phrases where I was supposedly more off.

Now, granted, I'm trying this tour on Expert, figuring that because others have done it, I can do it, too. But I can't seem to, and, much like any other game, I can't figure out why; and that's the most frustrating part. I can't fix what I don't know what's wrong.

No comments: